Monday, August 16, 2010

Blue Kitties

This is a cute little baby quilt. The kitties are an original design and they are made of tie-dyed chenille. The bold colors are much darker than a typical baby blanket, which helps hides any dirty spots.


I kept the quilting very simple on the blocks, just a 1/4" line on either side of the blocks. I also stitched in the ditch around the borders and quilted on the line between the grass and sky on the kitty blocks.


When I fist finished the kitty block, my dad insisted that the butterflies looked like bows. I went back and added in the yellow bottom, making them look more butterflyish. The face on the kitty was hand embroidered. I used a thick rayon cording so the wiskers and mouth would stand out more. The eyes are dark green buttons.

(Blue Kitties, 45"x60" Aug. 15, 2010)