Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Kimonos

These kimonos were made for a husband and wife who are really into learning about Japanese culture. I will be the first to admit that the fabric is far from authentic. This was really a cotton trial run for some nicer silk/satin ones in the future.

His kimono was a bit of a challenge because he is very tall, and has the mass for his height. Every pattern piece was approximately 5" to small, both lengthwise and width wise. With careful measurements, I was able to get it really close. The only alteration it needed was to hem up the sleeves.


The belt that came with the pattern was a simple velcro-in-place belt, and it looked far from sturdy. I designed this belt like a karate belt, so that it goes around the waste twice and ties in front. I made it a little long so that it looked a little more formal.



Her kimono was a little harder to sew with the long sleeves. I actually didn't have enough fabric for the sleeves, so I had to improvise by adding a panel of red to the bottom. In the end, I think it turned out nicer having the two-toned sleeves.



Her sash is not an authentic obi. I did use the pattern with the velcro-in-place sash. It looks fine for every day use, but we plan on doing a full real obi for her silk/satin kimono.