Thursday, July 17, 2014

Amanda's Baby Quilt



I think I will always be working on a baby quilt. And I have to say, I love it. This one was a self-imposed challenge. I don't have much extra cash, and I wanted to make a nice quilt for my cousin's new baby, who was just born and needs a name. Anyway, my challenge was to make a new quilt unlike any I have done using only scraps.



I love this lamb fabric for a boy, and I had a fair bit left from this quilt, so I was looking for fabric to match. The green was an accident. I happened to have some fabric from a bear quilt out as well and was seeing if I could make a match, when I noticed that the blue, aqua and green were all the same fabric print and looked rather nice together. On the down side, I had less than a quarter yard of each, so I needed something else to go with it. I found the fluffy white material left over from a lamb quilt I made a few months ago, and it seemed to be perfect. I like making quilts that have some texture for a baby. It gives them something interesting to touch while they play or sleep on the quilt.




My biggest challenge was the backing. I dug and dug thinking I would never find a fabric that both worked and that I had enough of, but then I found this one. It isn't quite the same as the other vine print, but it was close enough in color and design that I thought it was perfect. I just finished with some green DMC thread, and I think it turned out great!

(30 x 40 Squares and Stripes, Finished 7-17-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment