Friday, July 18, 2014

Pony Tales


This barnyard quilt was intended for a little boy from the beginning. The mom was very into horses, so my aunt wanted a quilt that had a horse theme. I found the pattern, Pony Tales on the internet and suggested that she look at it. She loved it, so I got to work.


I picked fabrics that were a bit more horse-like  than the ones in the pattern. I actually took the time to look up horse coloring so that I wasn't making a horse of a color that didn't exist.


I combined machine and hand embroidery in the applique. I did the machine embroidery around the outside edges and did the smile, nose and eye by hand.


The original pattern was a bit on the small size for a crib quilt, so I added black sashing between the blocks to bring it up to a more standard size.


I used the same cream fabric for all three horses and used it again for the star in the corner. I was looking for bandanna fabric for both the blue and red, but only found it in red. Rather than just doing a denim-colored fabric, I found a light-weight denim  that was a nice shade of blue.


For the plaid, I used a homespun cotton.


Overall, it turned out super cute and durable for the next little rodeo star.

5 comments:

  1. Great job...do you know if the pattern is available as a pdf as I'd like to get it, but hate paying high shipping costs to Australia from the USA....hugs Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was to contact the publisher, but I did a bit of looking, and the webpage listed on pattern doesn't work any more. There is no address or phone to call either. The copyright is with Rob and Mary Stanphill (2008). This makes me wonder if it is out of print, and the people still selling it are simply overstocked. The pattern itself would be very easy to convert to a PDF and print, so perhaps you can contact a seller to see if they would be willing to do it for you. I got my pattern from this site: http://www.thequiltpatternshoppe.com/shop/product/pony-tales/

    I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for this pattern too. Can't find it anywhere. The link didn't work either. Any help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am also looking for the pattern. if you made the quilt then you should have the pattern. could you sell it as a pdf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be happy with just the templates for the applique horses.

    ReplyDelete