Saturday, March 19, 2016

Ribboned Fairy Skirt or Dress


In December I went wedding dress shopping with my cousin. There was a really cool skirt on one of the dresses (I didn't care for the top), and I looked at it closer to see if I could duplicate it. I really loved how the fabric did curly-cues down the sides of the skirt. Rather than making bridal wear, I thought it would be fun for a fairy skirt.

 

I found this fabric, which basically is netting with ribbons and sequins sewn to it, in the clearance section. At first, I thought it would be nice for curtains, but then I thought about the wedding dress and figured it was worth a shot. The biggest trick to getting the curly-cues is using horsehair braid on the edges. 


Since I plan on selling this in my shop, I wanted it to fit many sizes. I used super soft teal elastic for the band and used about 300 pins to space it evenly. Because of the extra effort, it fits a person who is size M to 2XL without issue. It also works well as either a dress or a skirt.



I added three layers of netting to help puff out the skirt. I recently got a serger, so this was one of the first times I was able to use it, and I likely would not have tried it without the serger. 


 I will likely make more fairy skirts in the future because I think they look different and fun. I have some pink iridescent fabric on my shelf waiting to be used. If you are interested in this skirt, it is for sale on my Etsy Store, or I can make you one in whatever color you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment