Saturday, March 26, 2016

Joust Player 2


This tunic is like two projects in one. Since I have talked about making tunics before, I will focus on the Joust badge. The person who commissioned this wanted player two in pixels on the tunic. Typically I applique on the details, but for this project, piecing made more sense.


I began by blowing up the player two in flight and finding colors of cottons that best matched the colors of each pixel. 



I used my rotary cutter and mat to cut 3/4" by 3/4" pieces of each color.


Once they were laid out, I  chain stitched them together going vertically first and using a 1/4" seam allowance. Chain stitching is basically like assembling blocks normally, but you go in order and don't cut the blocks thread between each block so that it holds the block or quilt in approximately the correct place for the next stitching.


 This is what it looks like after three rows of chain stitching.


This is what it looks like when all the vertical lines are finished.  You can see the gaps between the blocks, but it is all held together to make the next part easier.


Then I pinned  and sewed each row horizontally.


This is what the back looked like. I added in a little extra around each edge. It was quite difficult to choose a thread color for this mini quilt. I settled on light gray because it was in the middle of most of the colors. It unfortunately showed a lot on the black, but I am not sure that I could have done it any other way with better results.


It was certainly an interesting project. I may try pixel art again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment