Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bears for baby girl

This quilt was made-to-order for a fellow teacher. She wanted a special baby quilt for her niece and asked me to make it. The room's theme was Boyd's Bears, so she was hoping I could find some kind of teddy bears to have in the quilt. I was able to find the licensed fabric, and used the gingham background as inspiration for the pinwheel blocks.
The design of the Boyd's Bears fabric was very busy and rather large. I chose to use 5"x5" blocks of this fabric on every other block to highlight this fabric and a pinwheel in pink for the quilted blocks. I normally would not put so much blue in a quilt meant for a girl, but this fabric was especially hard to match. The blue is more correct in the first picture than in this second picture and is in the periwinkle range rather than baby blue, which gives it a more feminine quality.

(Pinwheel with Sashing approximately 48"x60" 2007)