Tuesday, February 17, 2009

For baby boy

This was the quilt I made for Maria's baby. She knew they were having a boy, and wanted to decorate the room in hot air balloons. I really was lucky to find such nice fabric, so I wanted to show it off. I think that this stripy design makes it look like you're looking out a window at all the hot air balloons taking flight.
I kept the quilting pretty simple. I wanted the balloons to be puffy, so I free handed stippled clouds into the blue background.
To finish the set, I also appliquéd a couple of balloons onto this special nursing pillow. I tried two new things on this quilt. I never mitered corners before, and I thought it would look nice with all the stripes. I also used a batting that is 50% bamboo and 50% cotton. It was really lovely to work with, and I am thrilled that it is more environmentally friendly and has the natural antibacterial properties (especially for a baby quilt).

(Stripy approximately 50"x60" 2008)