Friday, February 27, 2009

KJ's Wedding Quilt

So, I am going to begin by stating that I really hate this camera. I will be changing this post when I can use my normal camera that takes decent pictures.

This quilt is a gift for my friend KJ, who just got merried on Feb 7, 2009. I am a little late in finishing it, but I think she'll forgive me. She requested a queen sized burgundy and black quilt after I convinced her I would not take no for an answer. You may notice that the middle black fabric has treble clefs and notes on it. I did this on purpose because KJ was a fellow music student with me, and now she teaches k-5 music and accompanies on piano.
I had a difficult time picking out the fabric for this quilt. Burgundy must not be a popular color this year because there were practically no bolts of burgundy fabric, and the ones that were there were uglier than I've seen in a long time. I ended up with a rusty-burgundy for the darkest shade and worked to a pale rose. The second dark proved to be a big problem. It really wanted to pop out and take over the quilt. I was originally going to do a barn raising lay out for the blocks, but the second dark was just obnoxious in this lay out. I tried several other lay outs and finally settled on the pinwheel because it made the last dark the primary color, which is what I had intended for this quilt. The three black fabrics are actually in the "light" position. I did this so that the black fabric would be a little less oppressive. I also added the quilting in the rusty rose color to help tone down the depth of the blackness. I seem to have a problem with queen-sized quilts. They always end up turning out huge. This quilt is no exception, and could be on a king-sized bed if she chose.

(Log Cabin, Pinwheel Layout approximately 98"x120" 2009)