Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bamboo Batting






There are plenty of batting options available to quilters. My personal favorite is bamboo. It is not actually 100% bamboo but rather a blend of cotton and rayon made from bamboo fibers. It is extremely soft- much like rayon velvet- it is environmentally friendly, and it is naturally anti-microbial. It is also much more expensive than cotton or polyester batting. It is very low loft, but fluffier than a needled cotton batting. When I can, I will use bamboo batting in baby blankets. It also comes in slightly different sizes than a typical batting. They advertize it as "generous baby" which is a 60 x 60 inch piece rather than 45 x 60. I like the "generous" size better than typical batting because I seem to always end up with baby quilts larger than 45 x 60. Here are some quilts I have made with bamboo batting:


Hot air balloons for Abdiel,


Teddy bears for baby girl,


Pinwheels for Landon,


 And Lady in the Lake for baby girl.

I really like working with bamboo batting. It lays out nicely, rarely wrinkling. When machine quilting, I don't have any trouble with the layers getting too think or the needle getting hung up on the fibers. I have not tried hand quilting with bamboo batting, but I have heard from other quilters that it is also very nice.

As for other B-words, batik, bobbin, all types of batting, and bolts of fabric also came to mind. I really could write about any of them, so maybe when the A-Z challenge is up, I'll go back and write about some of the topics I don't cover here.









7 comments:

  1. I've never thought about all the different types of batting. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour choices you have made. Beautiful photographs. My grandmother has made me some beautiful quilts but I know nothing about batting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pics of the quilt, Honeybee! lady in the lake is absolutely gorgeous! Never knew what that 'filling' was called until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard of bamboo batting. I learned something new.

    Nice to meet you through the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! I hadn't heard of the bamboo batting, but with all the eco stuff nowadays it doesn't surprise me.
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilts. I use to quilt, but haven't the time anymore. I'd rather write now. What a talented art.
    Hugs,
    Kathy (794 on the list) A-Z fellow Challenger

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried bamboo batting yet, but I want to. I've used the bamboo stuffing for other projects and I really liked it.

    Found you on A-z--fellow challenger

    ReplyDelete