Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Calico

Quilters primarily use calicoes to make the top of the quilt. This fabric is made of cotton and woven in a simple back and forth pattern. Calicoes then have a designed stamped on them. Quilters primarily use calicoes because they are 100% cotton. When quilting with other materials, the fabric may shrink at different rates, so quilters favor 100% cotton. The simple weave of the fabric is very sturdy and can be cut without too much fear of distortion. Of course, any fabric cut on the bias will stretch and distort, and calicoes are no exception.

When it comes to quilts I have made, almost all of them are made with calicoes. One of my favorites was this baby quilt which I find very punny. It has a calico featuring cats that look like they are made of calico.


I've also made several purses using calico fabric. They are available in so many colors and patterns that the color combinations are endless.


This table runner was also made of calicoes. These fabrics are a higher quality, sold in a quilting shop. The fabric feels a little thicker and softer than what is available in the chain stores.


As for other C words I considered, I thought about writing about crochet, cross stitch. cotton, and clay. I really love crafting, so I do enjoy using many media. For now, I'm trying to stick to quilting as much as I can.

2 comments:

  1. I loved calico when I took Home Ec, but I did not look good in it! Much better for quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you there! Calicoes are rather unforgiving when it comes to clothing. They just don't drape nicely at all. I find they work alright for skirts, but most of the patterns are too small to look right. I much prefer calicoes for crafts and quilts.

    ReplyDelete