Saturday, April 13, 2013

Log Cabin

By far, my favorite block is the Log Cabin. It all started when my college roommate wanted to learn how to quilt and asked me to join her in a star quilt class. She also picked up this book:


The class was a bust, but the book was perfect! If I hadn't tried my second quilt, a twin sized log cabin, I likely would not be a quilter. I hated cutting out all the little triangles for the star quilt, but I loved the strip quilting method.


Since then, Log Cabins have remained my favorite. They are fast and easy, finding colors is fun, and they offer a lot of variety in the layout phase.


A pinwheel layout for my aunt Deb.


A barn raising layout for a colorful mini quilt.


A very small tester to see if the colors work well. I don't have the final quilt's picture because it was before I had a digital camera. I call this quilt my blue willow quilt because it looks just like the china pattern.


I had some fun quilting this one... I wasn't very good at it, but I gave it a shot!

Other "l" words included a set of coffee can luminarias I tin-punched and painted (I'll likely blog about them eventually), and lace.

7 comments:

  1. Log Cabin is my favorite quilt block as well. I could make mosaics with this pattern indefinitely. Something wonderful about the two sides coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The barn raising layout is my favorite. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! I haven't tried my hand at quilting yet but do other forms of needlework. I'll be back! Have fun with the Challenge!

    Dot
    http://www.musingsfromdot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your theme is great and I really enjoyed seeing your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your theme is beautiful! You are very talented.
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful. I can see why Log Cabins are your favorites.
    It takes talent and patients to quilt like that and it's clear you have both.


    A-Z participant blogging from Elise Fallson

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am working on a log cabin quilt. It is for my son to take when he goes to the Civil War reenactments. It is much easier than I thought and may be my new favorite. I am sorry that you will not be completing the challenge. Hope you feel better soon.

    http://completelycalifornia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete