Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Cthulhu Tunic


Another day of amtgard sewing in prep for the Comic Con this weekend. It is interesting how closely related quilting and sewing for amtgard are. I use the same techniques to applique a quilt as I do to embellish a tunic. I was going for something fairly fast and cool for this one because something too cool may be overpriced for a person to buy on a whim.



Cthulhu  is rather popular in the LARP community and any nerdy community, so it seemed like a good choice. I enjoyed the Celtic knot design on this one. I take no credit for the art, as I found this design online, but it was fun and surprisingly fast to sew. It took roughly an hour and a half to trace, cut out and sew the Elder God.


I did have a moment of panic as I sewed when my cone was running out.



I still had much satin stitching to go, but apparently Cthulhu wished his image to be on the tunic and made the thread stretch. I even had enough to finish the neck in black.



I have been playing around with the fancy stitches on my machine more. I liked how this one looks a bit like octopus legs. I also found a good deal on some interesting trims, so I added in the colored ribbon on the sleeve.

Now, the question is, can I finish the dragon tunic before noon tomorrow? Stay tuned to see if I can pull it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment