Monday, May 25, 2015

Pintuck Smocking Wave


Trying new techniques is fun. I've been wanting to try smocking, so for my first project, I figured the fast method of using the machine would be better than trying the craziness of hand smocking (I do plan on doing it on another project)


I began with a one inch grid in pencil (more about the pencil later).


Then I sewed vertical lines with a 1/4 seam allowance.


To get the wave, I sewed all the tucks on the line first one direction than the other.


Then I had a bunch of blasted pencil lines I had to wash out. I really don't recommend using pencil on yellow. My white chalk would have come out easier, but I think it would have killed my eyes. I will go ahead and do it again to the other side, but only because the store is closed and I want to keep going. This project is going to be a cross between an amtgard tunic and a sun dress, based on my park's heraldry.





I was inspired by Lady Armstrong's Designs, which are very impressive. Anyway, more work to do, off to sew!



2 comments:

  1. Cannot grasp exactly what is meant by the park's heraldry, but it is rather extensive and not greedy in terms of imagination! The tucks have been arranged so precisely and accurately I will be abundant in appraisals - Well done, keep on, go on))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I play a live action role playing game called Amtgard. It is a world-wide system, and each individual unit is called a "Park". Each park has a name and a coat of arms, which we call our park's heraldry. It is based on both history and fantasy, so a little unusual if you found this site by looking for smocking. :)

    ReplyDelete