Friday, May 29, 2015

Shield Cover



This was another crafting game project  This is my write up:




Bias tape is super cool because it can do things that fabric not cut on the bias can't. I took advantage of this fact when planning my design. It has an amazing ability to do curves while remaining flat, and with a little pleat, it can also do a nice sharp angle. I chose to do a shield cover because I currently had a lame shield cover, and because it was a nice round object that would show off the cool bias tape techniques. I used three different kinds of bias tape in this project. I had a specialty quilting bias tape (the black one) left over from a project, some regular white 1/4" doublefold bias tape left over from another project, and I cut my own bias tape from a dark blue cotton fabric from my stash.




I started by tracing my design onto the blue background fabric (left over from a dress I made). I pinned the black bias tape down, but it looked too mono-chromatic, so I pulled up all the pins and added a brown and a green fabric underneath (both from my stash).


 I used heat-n-bond (from my stash) to secure the fabric and then re-pinned the black bias tape in place. I ironed down the bias tape in sections, smoothing out all the wrinkles and adding in pleats for the sharp corners and sewed a scant 1/8" seam on both sides of the tape.


Then I measured the cover against the bevel in my shield and through math and fabric pencils marked where I would add the blue border. 



I cut the blue fabric on the bias in 7/8" strips and backed them with heat-n-bond.



 I cut off part of the white double folded bias tape to turn it back into singlefold bias tape and used Steam-a-Seam to turn it into quilting bias tape. Then I pinned the white and black bias tape over the blue bias tape and ironed everything down. I sewed a scant 1/8" seam on the black and white bias tape, going through the blue bias tape as well. 


 
I finished the cover by sewing two strips of blue fabric to the cover and using a drawstring and toggle stoppers to pull it tight. The shield cover will well outlast the shield now, so I made it compatible with any max small round shield, up to 4" thick. 


The technique I used is commonly referred to as "stained glass appliqué" because the project resembles stained glass when finished. I tried to use a minimum of colors so that the Celtic knotwork of the bias tape would take center stage rather than the fabrics that simply help bring out the details of the design.  


No comments:

Post a Comment