Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ballet Bear


This was another "quilt" kit.  I use the quotes because it is not pieced or appliqued, but rather two pieces of fabric quilted together with batting between.  In my mind, which I can't say is standard, I don't think of something as a "Quilt" unless the top has several pieces of fabric.  To me, this is a "quilted blanket" much like the comforters they sell in stores.


The design was rather fun, so I chose to simply bring out the details in the stitching.  I used clear thread because there were too many colors to be practical and a lot of the colors were not standard thread colors.

 
 I mostly stitched around the outlines, but there were a few details I stitched as well such as the lines on the butterfly wings and the stippling in the ballet slippers.  Both places helped add a little more 3D to this flat design.


Several times, I almost sewed on lace, ribbon roses, ribbons and flower-shaped buttons.  I think it would have made the quilt more interesting, but I decided against it in the end because they are all choking hazards, and the quality of the print was not mount-on-the-wall artistic.

(Quilted Blanket, approximately 30 x 42, Dec. 6, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment