Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Splash of Color


This quilt was never meant to be a quilt.  I got the fabric to make grocery sacks, and though they are the same fabric print in two different colors, I had not intended to put them together.  It's a little bit on the holy-cow bright side for my taste, but I would be willing to bet that someone will find it to be their cup of tea.


This fabric posed an interesting challenge.  All four pieces were variegated, but the way it was printed would cause the variation to show up from strip to strip rather than in a single strip if I cut it the way quilters typically do.  Basically, I had to cut the strips with the grain rather than across the grain.  This meant that the border has a lot of piecing to it, as I only had about half a yard of each fabric.  Fortunately, the fabric design hides all the extra piecing.


TESSA is the group I donate my quilts to now, and their drive ends tomorrow.  I had hoped to finish all of these quilts last month, but a bad cold kept me from quilting until yesterday.  I had them mostly done, but it was a scramble to finish all 5 quilts in 2 days.  I truly hope that the families who receive these quilts and the other crafts I am sending have a happy holiday season.

(Stripe Block, approximately 32 x 54, Dec. 8, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment