Saturday, April 2, 2016

B - Ball

I am really loving making Temari balls. They are constructed by starting with a little packet of rice or a jingle bell. Then you wrap it in yarn and wrap it in sewing thread. Once the ball is done, you then embroider it with a design. They were originally intended as a child's toy, and they are surprisingly durable and bouncy.


This is just a sample of the new ones I made in the last 6 months or so. I made 15 mini ones for little Christmas gifts.


More often than not, I have been making balls for the game of Amtgard. They are used to represent spells when we play on the field. A person has to say an incantation and then throw the ball and hit another person in order for the "spell" to work. It is half a game and half a bit of acting, but fully fun.


The spell balls have strict color rules, so I try to keep them fairly obviously only one color.



These were "normal" temari balls. The one on the left was a give away for reaching 100 likes on my facebook page, and the one on the left sold on Etsy.

2 comments:

  1. That was cool - I was wondering what these were - I find your creativity quite intriguing and inspiring. :)

    Cheers, Jenny
    Pearson Report
    On Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given your similar interests, you may find them fun to make. the best place to get patterns/instructions is here: http://www.temarikai.com/PatternsPages/PatternContents.html Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete