Wednesday, April 6, 2016

F- Filigree

So, there are a lot of F-based sewing words like fabric, fiber, fleece, flannel, etc. so I thought I would do a word that is less well-known. This is a circle cloak that I made a few months ago with tons of filigree appliqued on.


I began by sketching the filigree on some newsprint paper, then I mirrored the design.


I traced it on to heat-n-bond and ironed it to some crepe backed satin (a.k.a. hammered satin). I love how crepe backed satin in gray or gold looks like real metal.


I carefully cut out each piece and ironed them down to the black linen.


I used gray thread to satin stitch around each piece.


The finished cloak. You may notice that the edges are torn, and that was done very much on purpose.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melody,

    That is some mighty fine work you're doing there. I happened to see your comment over at CourtneyPearson.com and decided to check your blog out. WOW - you are very creative.

    I'm a fan of sewing, having a mother that was a Viennese trained couturier I held a needle at a young age. My daughter (Courtney) is epic with the needle too, she makes some fantastic mermaid tails, amongst other things.

    Anyway… I'll definitely be back to check out your posts.

    Welcome to the A to Z Challenge. I hope you're having fun.

    Cheers, Jenny
    Pearson Report
    On Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the word filigree from the moment I first read it and found out what it meant. I love the pic you have at the top of your page

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a stunning design

    Ros
    Fangirl Stitches cross stitching A-Z
    Travel like a Geek Harry Potter Tour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful design!

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete