Saturday, April 30, 2016

Z - Zig-zag

Yey, I made it through the challenge! Now to the post:


The zig-zag  stitch is a very useful tool (#3 on my sewing machine above). Most seamstresses will use it if they don't have an overlock stitch or overlock machine (a serger). It helps prevent fraying by stitching one set of threads to another set of threads on the cloth, thus making it harder for the edge threads to come loose.


When setting the zig-zag to have an extreamly short stitch length, you can create a satin stitch. The stitch is so named because the threads lay flat next to one another and close enough to resemble satin material. In the pictures above and below, a zig-zag satin stitch is used on the outside edge, and a triple regular stitch is used to resemble a hand-stitched back stitch for the details.


Another interesting technique is laying out a satin stitch then sewing another stitch over the satin stitch, as below with a black zig-zag and a purple straight stitch.  This was the first time I tried it, so next time, I will make the zig-zag a bit wider. The XXX stitch is another decorative stitch my machine has, but a person who is very patient could actually do it with a zig-zag, some practice and some time.


Happy A-Z to one and all. I'll be back to my normal posts until next year!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I always wondered how people did neat seams without an overlocker!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete