Tuesday, April 19, 2016

N - Needful Thing


This is a glowforge. It is a 3D laser printer, which I have to say, isn't a really good description of what it does. What it really does is cut and engrave objects with insane precision. So, why is it so needful? I can think of so many applications where it would help save time or help create something beautiful that I could not do or would take ages to cut by hand.

For example, if you saw my post on F - Filigree, then you know that I do some insane applique at times. 


To do this, I had to design and cut each piece by hand. It took at least 5 hours to do that. Then I had to sew, which took another 3 hours. So, a printer that I could draw directly into software then mirror and cut the fabric while changing sizes at a whim would be so time saving. 

Another example... I have gotten into wood cut stamping on fabric. It generally takes me a few hours to carve a block, and that is after the time I take to draw the design in the first place. I get custom orders all the time where people want something complex on their clothing, so being able to carve a woodblock in a matter of minutes would let me pass on the savings to my clients.



I am imagining all sorts of other cool things like embossing velvet and leather, cutting out laser necklaces in wood and shell... I seriously could use this thing every day.

I even applied for a job when I went to their site to find a picture. That is a crazy level of needful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment