Sunday, April 3, 2016

C - Circle Cape


This is my friend Evan, molding a circle cape I made. I really like circle capes because you can throw them over anything, and it makes it look like you have both a tunic and cape on. It can change field garb into court garb in the time it takes to pull it on over your head.


Rather than doing grommets, I experimented with these decorative metal findings that I got in the beading section. They work well and have a cool look.


This was the first project that I got to try out my new serger on. It made finishing the edge a breeze rather than a nightmare. I like how it can give a really nice thick decorative edge on a fabric that would otherwise fray, and without the hassle of trying to roll the hem of a perfect circle.

4 comments:

  1. I bought my daughter a serger for Christmas - she's just getting into it now. Do you mind me asking what kind you have - how many needles, etc.
    My mother used a serger all the time, though I never had reason to - did most of my work quite well with my Pfaff. I did a lot of leather work and the Pfaff model I have (still have it after 30 years-hahaha) is a very basic model but very heavy duty.

    I'm really enjoying these posts. I love seeing how other people express themselves via things like sewing, drawing and the like. You seem to have a hand in several of the arts.

    Again… that was fun.

    Cheers, Jenny
    Pearson Report
    On Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a Brother 1034D. I looked at the reviews of many sergers, and even though it was among the least expensive, it was also the highest rated. It has 4 needles, but it is easy to switch to 3 needles. So far, it works really well. The only times I have issues is when I have thread it incorrectly. There was also a really good book that explains how and when to adjust for different types of stitches.

      Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. I noticed in your A post you were also using a Pfaff - that put a smile on my face. Is it your serger, or sewing machine - I'm guessing it's a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my sewing machine. It is a Triptonic 2010. I am thinking of upgrading because I sew so much and I would like some more decorative stitches, but part of me still just loves this one. I may be running it into the ground though, given how much I use it!

      Delete