Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Bedsheet Tunic


This was a commission from someone without the time to finish the project. He bought the king flat sheet and wanted to make a tunic.  This was an interesting challenge because there was exactly 99 usable inches of trim.


The neck was the biggest challenge because there were so many layers to sew through and so little room for error. Fortunately he wanted the sleeves tapered, or I would not have had the trim to make the keyhole neck.


It would have looked a bit plain without an additional pop of color, and the hem would not have had trim at all . I fortunately found this fabric that was a very close match to the background tan. It was rather sheer, so I simply sewed it on top of the other fabric rather than quilting the fabrics together.


I used steam a seam to help hold everything in place, and I was really pleased with the results. Pins normally shift around a bit with sheer fabric, so the steam a seam helped quite a bit. I will definitely use it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment