Friday, June 5, 2015

Sun's Haven Sundress Tunic


This is what I finished today. I had a post earlier about the pintuck pleated wave, so here is the final result. I wanted something halfway between a sundress and a tunic that would be cool to fight in when it is 110+.




The pintucks act a lot like elastic, which makes it fit comfortably snug. It does not fall on my like it does on the dummy. I had a double mastectomy, so it hugs my boobless chest and then flows out much like a baby doll dress.





I gave couching a try as well. Couching is where you use embroidery to sew a thick thread/yarn/ribbon/etc. to the project. In this case I used a variegated #9 pearl cotton to attach a maroon polyester twill tape (I was out of ribbon, so twill tape will do in a pinch). 


 

The applique features my park's heraldry. It is the first time I tried using the stained glass quilting technique on clothing.


I wanted to try making a houppelande trim, so I created a pattern that nestled in on itself and then got two trims from one piece of cloth. I cut it on the bias so that it would accommodate the curves of the tunic's hem.



I finished with a pair of capri pants with the same houppelande. I was hoping that the dual colors would help make the outfit look like garb rather than like a sundress.

No comments:

Post a Comment